Saturday 26 August 2017

Reasons to Volunteer

During Thursday afternoon and into the evening I spent a couple of hours at The Cat Museum here in Singapore. There was a lot of visitors, but unfortunately only a handfull of volunteers. Once school started, many who volunteered during the summer left. Though I had lots to do, I talked to a British family who reminded me why The Cat Museum is great.


I have been volunteering since May. I have gotten to know the cats, the kittens, the regular visitors and the regular volunteers. Yet sometimes I feel like I do not want to go. I have been sleeping poorly this week and felt too tired to go on Thursday. Up until I needed to go, I still was not sure I would. Then I thought about the cats - one volunteer's words reminded me of why I go. I do it for the cats. I go to help them get a new home.

Just before TCM opens for the public, a message from the owner is sent to the Thursday's chat in WhatsApp. Usually there is two volunteers at each station, but this time there were only one at the reception. For the first shift I and another volunteer were stationed at the top floor where all the Superstars live (Superstars are not adoptable). It is usually very crowded since the visitors must start there and work their way down, but it is also very crowded in the reception (obviously). I was asked to help out to bring visitors to the elevator, at the same time be upstairs in Superstars to talk about the cats. It was a bit chaotic. The worst part is having to tell the visitors to hang out in the small room by the elevator and wait up until ten minutes, then sit around waiting with them or smile awkwardly while I head up without them.

Once it slowed down in the reception I could focus on the visitors upstairs. There was a British family; mother, mother's sister perhaps, and a couple of children. I told them the names of the cats and their personalities, where to pet and who to avoid. The mother was quite talkative and said something I had not realised until then. She told me The Cat Museum was great because she could take her children there. Told me most cat cafés do not allow young children. At TCM we allow all children and they are welcome on all floors except one room. The Nursery, where there are very young kittens, children under the age of ten are not allowed. Mainly because so young kids do not understand how fragile those small kittens are. They are just babies after all.

I had not thought about it before. Like I said in the beginning of this post, I was unsure whether I still wanted to volunteer at TCM. The events that day made me understand why I still want to. First, it is good experience. Second, I feel like I do make something, some kind of difference. I help cats find home and I help people find a furry friend.

If you are interested in volunteering at The Cat Museum, head over to their website and write a small message. I will see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment