Wednesday 7 September 2016

New Knowings and a Care Package

I have had a great day. This morning I asked if Dawn (the person I went on a friendly date with two weeks ago) wanted to grab lunch at a place she had mentioned before. She said yes and so I started getting myself ready. I had some curls in my hair from yesterday but freshened them up, put on my beloved red shirt (which I have not worn since we moved here) and striped shorts. I asked her about the dress-code and we agreed upon comfortable/something-not-needing-ironing.

I was early. Google Maps estimated forty minutes travel time but I was ready an hour before we planned to meet so I left twelve o'clock. First time I took the bus alone (in Singapore). MRT is best for longer distances, but the place we were going to was sort of close and also extremely inaccessible. It only took me around half an hour and I also exited the bus one stop too early. I talked to Annika while walking there. Place is called The Grandstand, an old harness racing area.

When we eventually found each other Dawn (dressed in a sexy black dress and high heels, not honouring the dress-code) recommended the hipsterish food court and I was so hungry that anything would do. Of course at a food court you can choose between a lot different kinds of food and eat together, really convenient, and so whilst Dawn ate Mexican food I choose a pie with side salad. We talked about everything and nothing, I can barely mention one topic because it was so diverse. When I went to the bathroom I noticed that the brushed up curls had almost completely vanished from the short walk from the busstation up to the mall. Note to self: do not bother fixing the hair.

Food was good and afterwards she told me that there was a stable nearby. We got into talking about horses (so okay, I can mention one topic) and shared our experiences. She had been riding a few times, if I understood that correctly, and I rode for six years in my early teens. Looking at the map we hoped to just go around the racing track and find the stable. We did not. It was not a very hot day, although "not very hot" in Singapore is still above twenty five and sweaty. First side-road we found we tried to sneak past the Warning Danger-sign. Few steps further and we turned back as we did not want to get caught by the workers down that road.

Kept walking. Eventually came to another side road, much more safe looking. Made a U-turn and walked up parallell to the road we had just walked down. Found some houses that could have been stables, but turned out to be abandoned haunted looking condos (possibly, not sure if anyone has ever lived there). Even though clearly nobody lived there we saw workers cutting the grass and performing other duties.

At the end of the ironically named Harmony Road we finally came to the stable. We said hello to the horses, finding very few large ones and mostly ponies. Nobody was riding, no lesson starting or anything. We looked at the prices and saw that is was not so bad. Maybe we should take a lesson together? Maybe start riding? Then we went online and found an ever cheaper place.

Next to the stable was the Riders Cafe. We sat down at a table and ordered something called fika. Basically coffee and something small to eat. In this case I had Citrus Summer Fizz and Dawn Lime something. Shared a plate of scones served with butter, cream and raspberry jam (possibly marmalade, who can tell the difference?) Afterwards I was really full and the time was a few minutes past four. We ordered a cab to take us to Farrer Road MRT and separated there. It was a nice day and Dawn is a very friendly person. I really like her and I am looking forward to really get to know her.





Tonight John's dad arrived in Singapore. His mother was also expected but encountered difficulties in Helsingfors and will arrive tomorrow instead. Thomas came with a large care package and we unloaded so many goodies! I thank you deeply, so many things have been missed. I believe everything to be honest.

2 comments: