Monday 31 October 2016

Halloween Horror Nights

What a fun experience! Last night was one of the best I have had in Singapore. We were at the Universal Studios Halloween Horror Night 6!

The day was slow and calming, just what I needed. I tend to get nervous and stressed out by things outside the apartment. John was kind and made brunch - chicken pasta with garlic. It was good but that kind of food always look bleak. There is no way to put colour into it.

I had already picked out an outfit but after trying it on I decided it was not right. I did not want to have short-shorts because I knew we were going on rides and sweaty thighs against plastic is never comfortably to peal oneself off from. I had planned on taking tights and a dress but I felt that was not the right style for an amusement park. John wore orange shorts and a purple shirts which looked nice and also felt like Halloween. In the end I decided to wear yellow chinos and a crop top with comic book print.

We left around five thirty knowing the event would open at seven thirty. Travelled by MRT to HarbourFront and stood by the directory looking for a good restaurant to eat. All the names were meaningless and all the photos looked boring. We ate at the food court behind us. A small but almost healthy meal that would keep our tummies satisfied throughout the night.

We started walking slowly across the bridge towards Sentosa Island. It was an hour or so before the event started. I had already said I did not want to stand in queue just to be one of the first inside. We stood in a long line, pretty organised which is always surprising for an European I think. (Asian are really good at queuing and not skipping in line.) They started letting people in at seven and during that last half hour there was a small concert in the crowded entrance. A skeleton DJ, lots of blinking horns on peoples heads, nobody was dancing apart from me and John, a few screamed but only when the DJ asked for it. It was fun but strange, the ones around us gave us space to dance. I thought it was fun!


Eventually they let the people in to the rest of the park. People streamed everywhere. John and I had a goal. I had studied a map earlier and knew where to go. People ran past us. We walked fast, European long-legged style. Came up to the entrance to the Cylon roller coaster! We needed to put our belonging inside a locker and so we ran past the Human roller coaster (they are named from Galactica - something I know very little about), put everything inside a small box and ran back laughing insanely. John did, I sounded hyped I think.

The Cylon is by far the best coaster I have ever ridden. It twisted, it looped, it corkscrewed and all these things were a first-timer for me. It was simply amazing. I screamed so much! We sat on the sixth row so we did not see much of what was going to happen until it did. Right afterwards we ran for the Human and sat in the front seats. It was not as exiting, no loops and no corkscrews. It had more than one helix but also a lot of twists and turns. Not as good as Cylon though.


After that I was pretty pleased. We had done two coaster under twenty minutes and retrieved our things for free (after forty five minutes it would cost four dollars). We strolled down the street when we suddenly were asked to move to the side, move to the side, move to the side people! We had no idea what was going on but had conveniently just acquired a map. On the spot where we stood it said March of the Dead. Soon drums were playing and a skull-wagon turned the corner. "Dead people" danced and a coffin was carried by dead monks (I believe they were monks, but John disagrees). It was a short assembly but it was pretty to look at. While this was happening we tried to walk alongside them but the staff kept screaming move to the side people so it kind of ruined the mood.

Next attraction was one of the haunted houses called Old Changi Hospital. We had asked a staff member over at the Human coaster (who had answered honestly when we asked which coaster was the best and he said Cylon, so we trusted his judgement) which house to go to. We stood in an impressively long line and I was so happy that we avoided this by the coasters. Decided this was the only queue we would stand in and so we invested our time. It moved frequently which was surprising, but closer to the entrance it got slower and slower. Eventually we could enter together with a whole group of people. Not as scary as it would have been going just us two. Inside was pretty well decorated though. I was more impressed by the scenery than scared shitless. The girl behind me sounded like she was about to die.

Maybe it was not worth the long wait and the annoying people in the queue, but overall I liked it. Since we did not want to queue any more we visited one of their "scary zones" which was like a haunted house but no queue so people just wandered everywhere. One tunnel was scary when something was pulled underneath my foot and the sound was unpleasant, but the rest... lets just say that a guy with bloodied face and a knife beside it was completely overlooked by me who asked John which was to go in that specific cross-way. I apologised over my shoulder and shamefully walked away.

Opposite the entrance to the park was a huge castle and the sign Far Far Away. Both of us being fans of Shrek had to enter and be amazed. This looked incredible. So detailed. We walked on the street shown in the movie! There were scary rides here as well but more for children obviously. We passed through, strolling back to the entrance. Looking at the map we noticed that a small show was starting after half an hour and so we decided to wait there. It was the end of the March of the Dead. A Mexican presented the show, two "volunteers" joined of stage, Lady of the Dead screamed something about life and death, the "volunteers" got spiked and burned and then it was over. It was surprisingly short.


Before leaving we wanted to see one last thing. Jack's Recurring Nightmare Circus. It was interesting. Two circus acts - first thing that happened was a girl suspended in the air with a secure line holding her hair. I have no idea how they made it look so real but it must have been a helmet of some sort. She spun around with the use of her legs and other acrobatic things. Very impressive. Then it was dancing and miming, not very circus-like according to me. Halfway through a man from America Got Talent (I believe) came on stage with his female partner. They performed throwing knives-act, as in the lady stood against a wooden wall and the man a few meters away, blindfolded and listened to her instructions on where to throw those heavy metal knives. It was very real and very scary, which could very easily be seen on her face. It ended with them chopping his head of with a guillotine and they made it look so real I had a bad feeling in my stomach afterwards. The circus lasted for half an hour and then it was done.

I had gone from tired to energised. Suddenly I danced around, jumped up and down, while John walked with a big smile next to me. We left the park an hour before closing time. Grabbed a cab in the enormous car-park below the island and came home around midnight. I was quick to get into bed, having difficulties keeping my eyes open, while John stayed up an hour or so after kissing my forehead.

It was a fantastic night! I will not forget this soon.

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment